Saturday, May 8, 2010

Mother’s Day... (yes, a day early!)...



Every year on Mother’s Day we pack up the kiddos, a picnic, some sand toys and the dog and we head out to Prelude Lake for some family fun.

Yesterday it was a bit cool out but we didn’t let it stop us. We pulled into the park and we built sandcastles, slid down the slide and kicked a soccer ball around. We had our picnic snack and then headed off on our hike!

The last time Andrew and I took this hike was on Claire’s EDD. I can’t describe how it felt to be back... bittersweet, I guess? However just as we pulled up to the staircase to begin the hike a Mourning Cloak butterfly fluttered by! It swooped in, did a few loops and then flew into the trees. There was my sign that Claire was around to spend the day with us. Ahh...

We had a nice short hike stopping along the way to take pics of our goofy little kiddos. Once we reached the lookout the kids went off to explore and then Andrew went to join them. I had a little time to myself and have to admit I shed a few tears. This was supposed to be my first Mother’s Day as a mother of 4. I should have had Claire wrapped around me in a Snuggli. Our family picture should have one more child in it. And then I shook myself out of the what ifs...

We came home and had a nice dinner and then Molly told me to wait downstairs while she prepared something for me in my room. I heard water pouring and the microwave on and heard talk of pillows and oven mitts and baby powder?! I wasn’t sure what to expect!!

I was invited up to my room about 20 minutes later and entered “Molly’s Spa” which offered a water/baby powder hand wash, a rolling back massage courtesy of William, giggles courtesy of Matthew, and a hot rock and upper back massage by Molly, all accompanied by the sweet sounds of Andrew and mine’s wedding song (on repeat!).

At one point all of the kids, Andrew, and I were all laying on the bed together and it was quiet and tears rolled out of my eyes onto my pillow. It was a beautiful way to end the day off with my family... just sad knowing that another little one should have been laying on the bed with us.

Oh, Baby Girl, I missed you so much today. How can a mother truly celebrate Mother’s Day without ALL of her children with her? Your daddy, sister and brothers really did make the day special for me in every way that they could...

xo
 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved