Monday, November 23, 2009

How to answer, “How are you?”















What am I supposed to say?
If you are my close friend, I give you the real answer. “I’m a mess. I am on the worst roller coaster ride ever and I can’t get off.”

But how am I supposed to answer when a casual acquaintance asks?

Do they really want to hear my real answer? Because you know what? I feel guilty every time I say I’m fine. Because I’m not and I feel like I am not honouring my daughter by avoiding telling acquaintances how I am really feeling.

However, if I do tell the truth, it just opens up a whole lot of awkward weirdness. For both of us. And that is almost the last thing I want...

The last thing being avoiding talking about Claire at all.

I can’t win.



 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved