Sunday, January 8, 2012

The best approach according to who?



'saying nothing is the best approach.' Really? Make no wonder the general public has no idea how to react to someone who has lost a baby. Shame on you Good Housekeeping!

In reaction to your pop quiz...

When I lost my first baby (6 weeks gestation due to an ectopic pregnancy) I told the principal of my school and asked that he share the news with my coworkers but to please tell them not to mention it to me. A few of them ignored that advice and showed up on my doorstep with flowers, cookies and above all love, support, hugs and a willingness to share their own stories of loss and hope. It was the absolute BEST thing they could have done. I didn't realize how much I needed that little life be acknowledged and for my tears to be validated. 5 years later I gave birth to my Sweet Baby Claire at only 17 weeks gestation. I know that some of my friends and former coworkers were afraid to say anything for fear of upsetting me further but the only thing that saddened me more was someone who ignored that she existed at all. Your advice, in my opinion, (and clearly that of many other babyloss moms as I can see by reading below) is off base. I encourage you to please help us help educate others and break the taboo. Our babies and our families deserve the recognition.

XO
 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved