Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Words into action...



As a result of yesterday’s interview, JY and I have decided to keep the ball rolling!

We have both expressed interest in starting a local support group however neither of us is a doctor nor do either of us have any formal counselling skills. What we do have is the want and need to share our experiences as well as an interest in helping others.

I have done a lot if internet research into getting some training in support group leadership but nothing has really stuck out as something that I can do from right here, right now... but then I had an ‘aha’ moment where I thought back to a section on a website I frequent, Faces of Loss, Faces of Hope, where they offer guidance in setting up a Face2Face Friendship Group in your own hometown (read below to find out more about Face2Face groups).

I had 2 thoughts...

1. Why reinvent the wheel?

While I was trying to find the ‘right’ way to go about this, something fabulous and successful has already been set up and is being offered!

2) Why not us?!

__________

Faces of Loss, Faces of Hope is all about connection. Hopefully, through our website (and facebook page), you’ve been able to connect with other parents with stories similar to yours. While connecting online is great, there is still something really special about making a face-to-face connection with someone who ‘gets’ what it’s like to lose a baby.

Face2Face Friendship Groups are not meant to be formal ‘support groups,’ but rather simple gatherings of friends who share a deep common bond. Groups of friends hanging out, enjoying a meal or a cup of coffee (or tea! Or wine!), and talking about their babies.

Most groups meet once or twice a month at local restaurants and coffee shops. There are currently over 100 groups up and running across the US and abroad!”

__________

And so... we are taking the plunge! We are going to co-lead our own local group!! We have to firm up and submit our applications and then we will receive our leader package and we can take it from there!

I think I can speak for the both of us in saying that we are excited (and  little nervous) to get this next chapter in our journey underway!

On a personal level, setting up a support group has been something I have wanted to do from almost day one of finding out that there is nothing similar in place in Yellowknife and I have my fingers crossed that we can make a successful go at helping others in our community who feel are feeling lonely feel a little less so.

XO
 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved