Monday, April 2, 2012

More than a love of Star Wars in common...















William had his best friend Brady over on Saturday. They were playing around the table while I was making Claire's March winks collage. William was showing his buddy all of the hearts that were found this month and then told Brady that they were for his sister that died...

Brady then said, "I have a brother that died."

W-   "You do?"
B-    "Yes. His name is Mason."
W -  "He was a baby too?"
B-    "Yes, he came before me but he was a baby too."
W-   "My sister Claire came after me. She died too. How old is she now mommy?"
Me-  "2."
W-    "Yah, 2. We go out to Prelude to celebrate her birthday. We have peanut butter cupcakes!!"
B-     "We have cake for Mason's birthday too. And we go to our cabin. He's 8."
W-    "I didn't know you had a brother that died?!?"
B-     "Yah."

Ugh... do I cry or smile?

I am so sad that this is the reality for William and Brady, yet relieved that they have this in common. I will never have to worry about his feelings getting hurt if he talks about Claire with Brady or his family because they don't know how to handle the conversation. I will never worry that his friend might think he is 'weird'. I will never have to worry that Meredith and Jeff will think it is odd that he knows about or talks about his little sister that he never met. Although William doesn't talk about Claire all that often, it eases my heart to know that if he does with them that they too get it and they are comfortable talking about and celebrating Mason's life too.

To them, it was just another conversation, a quick chat and then they moved on... to Star Wars Lego, of course!

To me it is a conversation that lingers and will last... 


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved